Warning: Illegal string offset 'wordbooker_like_button_post' in /home/glittergirl/templeofpoi.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordbooker/wordbooker.php on line 2213
Warning: Illegal string offset 'wordbooker_like_button_page' in /home/glittergirl/templeofpoi.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordbooker/wordbooker.php on line 2214
Warning: Illegal string offset 'wordbooker_like_button_post' in /home/glittergirl/templeofpoi.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordbooker/wordbooker.php on line 2140
Warning: Illegal string offset 'wordbooker_like_button_page' in /home/glittergirl/templeofpoi.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordbooker/wordbooker.php on line 2141
With increased interest in pairing up with poi, Temple of Poi has decided to expand on our mixed level Partner Poi Class series and create a three part immersive program meeting over 10 weeks to help you amp up your partner poi skills.
Introducing the Temple of Poi Partner Poi Boot Camp program which consists of the following three parts.
- Partner Poi, Part I: These first four weeks introduce basic partner concepts for both interlaced, stacking, interactive and mirrored moves. Throughout the series you will work with a variety of partners to increase your flexibility and improve your technique. Advanced students will practice working with less accomplished students to both improve their own skill performing the move as well as honing their ability to help others learn the patterns. Each session is costumed tailored to reach students at their current level so beginners feel welcome and advanced students are still challenged. Curriculum will be delivered based on student needs and will cover various skills and drills including:
- face-to-face 1 handed 4 beat patterns for both the right and left hand
- back-to-front 1 handed 3 beat patterns for both the right and left hand
- folding between these 4 beat and 3 beat patterns (either direction, either hand, either person turning)
- 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, front-to-front
- 2 handed 3 beat same direction weaves, back-to-front
- folding from 4 beat to 2 handed 3 beat same direction weaves, back-to-front
- 2 person chasing the sun (static and passing)
- turning both ways with chasing the sun
- stacks and tunneling
- thread the needle
- and more!
Because these skills require interactive practice, repeating this 4 week series several times has helped students gain more skill more quickly as we are constantly adjusting the material based on the in-the-moment needs of the students present. Part I is based on this Partner Poi Class Series.
- Partner Poi, Part II: During the second four weeks student will build on the skills they developed in the first four weeks and will hone their skills working with 2 hands with a partner. These 4 weeks include:
- 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, front-to-front review
- 2 handed 3 beat same direction weaves, back-to-front review
- folding from 4 beat to 2 handed 3 beat same direction weaves, back-to-front review
- 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, front-to-front 180º and 360º turns, turning both ways, starting in either direction
- 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, back-to-back
- 1 handed side-by-side (both looking in the same direction) 4 beat weaves
- folding from side-by-side 4 beat to 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, front-to-front
- folding from side-by-side 4 beat to 2 handed 3 beat split direction weaves, back-to-back
- interactive flowers, stalls, pendulums, plane breaks, giants and nested patterns using buzz saw variants
- 3 person 2 handed front-to-front 4 beat weaves
- 3 person 2 handed side-by-side 4 beat weaves
- 4 beat weave chains
- and more!
As skills, time and interest permit, we will explore various ways to enter and exit the various 4 beat patterns with 3 partners ore more. We will also explore more interactive, stacked and mirroring patterns with an emphasis on building enough confidence to try lighting up with these moves comfortably in Part III.
- Partner Poi, Part III: These two weeks will take place outdoors with fire so we can practice lighting up with each other in a (semi) controlled environment rather than a jam or location with lots of distraction. During these classes, students will be partnering up with instructors and each other to practice the partner poi work from the past 8 weeks. Students not spinning will act as fire safety crew and students will both spin and fire safety. Just as the material from Parts I and II increased in difficulty, the fire sessions will follow a similar progression. Students will start with one handed patterns and one handed turns and folding with both the right and left hands. Practice will continue from there to two handed moves as students feel more comfortable.
- This boot camp series will be taught by Erol Zihni Efendioglu, Patrick Nova Haley and Temple of Poi founder, Isa GlitterGirl Isaacs.
- The Fall 2011 Boot Camp series beginner October 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm
- Each class runs for 80 minutes
- Class will skip Columbus Day (Oct 10)
- Parts I and II will run at Alonzo King LINES Dance Center, 26 Seventh Street, 5th Floor San Francisco, CA 94103 (the web site had detailed directions on how to get there)
- Students must have their own bean bag/soft practice poi for Parts I and II — tennis balls, LED poi and fire poi heads are not allowed for these sessions to reduce the risk of shocking blows to the body
- Part III of this series will meet near Mint Plaza, San Francisco, at the corner of Jessie and Mint streets next to the Mint Building
- Students must provide their own fuel and fire poi for Part III of this series
- Students must wear fire safe clothing and have their own hair and arm cover for Part III of this series
- Students can take the boot camp in various combinations as follows:
- Part I: beginners and advanced beginners to partner poi; advanced* students looking to hone their skills performing the moves and guiding others
- Part II: people who can comfortably fold between all 3 and 4 beat patterns; advanced* returning students
- Parts I and II: those new to partner poi wanting a comprehensive introduction with weekly practice though not wanting to try it with fire
- Parts II and III: advanced partner poi students* who have already successfully completed part I looking to take their practice to the next level
- Parts I, II and III: those looking for a comprehensive introduction to partner poi from beginning to lighting up with fire
Tuition for the entire bootcamp is due in 2 payments. The first payment, due by October 3, 2011, may be paid prior to the start of class electronically via credit card, debit card, check or PayPal using the payment button below or via cash in person at the beginning of the first class to GlitterGirl. Payment 2 is due in cash on November 2, 2011. Other payment options may be available; contact GlitterGirl to make arrangements (glittergirl templeofpoi com). Other details about the payment schedule and fees follows in this table:
|Part(s)||Weeks||Dates||Fee||First Payment||Second Payment|
|Part I||4||10.3, 10.17, 10.24, 10.31||$120; advanced* students: $110||$120; advanced* students: $110||n/a|
|Part II||4||11.7, 11.14, 11.21, 11.28||$120||$120||n/a|
|Parts I and II||8||10.3, 10.17, 10.24, 10.31, 11.7, 11.14, 11.21, 11.28||$200||$100||$100|
|Parts II and III||6||11.7, 11.14, 11.21, 11.28, 12.5, 12.12||$180||$100||$80|
|Parts I, II and III||10||10.3, 10.17, 10.24, 10.31, 11.7, 11.14, 11.21, 11.28, 12.5, 12.12||$250; advanced* students $225||$125||$125 ($100 advanced*)|