Dear Potential Applicants:
Thanks for considering applying for the 2011 Fire Dancing Expo being held 23 April, 2011 at 7:45 PM (call timer 6:15 PM) in San Francisco’s Union Square. As with events in the past, artists donate their time and no one we’ve hosted on this stage previously, including some world renowned legends (MCP, Yuta, Manda Lights, Cyrille, Thomas, Alien Jon, Banyan and more!) have been paid.
Here’s what you need to know about working with me, GlitterGirl, if you haven’t worked with me before:
- I am direct which may mean I sacrifice “nice” communication for “I need to get this done yesterday” style communication
- Everything I ask for has a reason, most of which are explained in the long form and if it’s not, I’m open to explaining why I do things the way I do, time permitted
- I am very busy and don’t have a lot of extra time, which may mean that emails are incredibly terse. This is not because I’m unfriendly, don’t like you and/or being mean — terse emails are a result of a busy schedule running Temple of Poi and working on my own art while producing the Expo so please do not take it personally.
- The 2 quickest ways to piss me off: you emailing me a question to which the answer is available already and you missing deadlines and/or not doing what you agree to do — especially wearing synthetics to the show. I’m like the Hulk when I’m pissed off — you wouldn’t like me very much.
- The 2 quickest ways to endear yourself to me: agree to these guidelines and keep your word and get everything in before the deadlines.
- I understand we all make mistake (me top of the list!) and I really do try to make things smooth and easy and will do my best to be patient — even though my nature is that of an impatient and fiery creature.
- And most importantly: if I’ve published the requirements clearly and you don’t meet the requirements, you will be dropped from the show. Even if you traveled to the US from another country and were offered a travel stipend, I will deny you that travel stipend (and give it to another) and stop you from performing if, say, you are wearing a synthetic costume. All this information is contained in the long form so don’t read it at your own risk.
If you are willing to work with me understanding my particular preferences, irritations and likely responses, then let’s make it flow together and have a beautiful show. If not, no harm, no foul.
The first step is to get on the Fire Dancing Expo Announce mailing list. Each day, from now (2.10.11) to 2.24.11 I will send an email with application URL’s as well as the password for the application. One will be the longer form — explaining every gory detail — this is the link you should check before emailing me questions!! The second link will be the short form which is a much shorter version of the information you will need.
I will emphasize one more time that despite my resistance to drop artists who missed deadlines in the past, or professional artists who blatantly disregarded the “no synthetics rule” it is clear this show has reached critical mass, we will have lots of applicants and I am much more inclined to work with people who meet the deadlines/requirements than those who do not.
Either way, thank you for your consideration.
I wish you blessings, beauty and bliss always.